German ID card

Applicants under 16 years of age must be accompanied by both parents or their guardian(s).Please note as a general rule that a German ID card is not a sufficient travel document outside of the EU. You can apply for an electronic Identity Card (eID) at the German Missions in the US. Please obtain information on the functionalities of the new Identity Card prior to your application and the differences compared to the passport.


Biometric Card

Valid ID

Data Base Record

IDValidityDurabilityProcessing CountryDelivery
Over 2410yearsDepends on the PlaceGermanyPick Up from State Bureau or Mail Posting.
Under 246yearsDepends on the PlaceGermanyPick Up from State Bureau or Mail Posting.

The following documents are required for the application (original + 1 photo copy):

  • completed application form
    Application formPDF / 694 KB
  • two identical biometric recent passport photos (Please do not cut the photos yourself!)
    Sample Photos for PassportsPDF / 550 KB
  • your birth certificate stating the exact place of birth (it is not sufficient if only the county is mentioned on the US birth certificate, a “proof of birth letter” issued by the hospital with the name of the town must then also be provided)
  • if married, divorced or widowed: marriage certificate, if applicable divorce decree or death certificate of the spouse
  • previous passport (data page with photo) / ID card
  • valid residence permit in the US (US Resident Alien Card, US residence visa, US passport, US Certificate of Birth Abroad or US. Citizenship Certificate) Holder of a Green Card without expiration date
  • if the last name in your previous passport or ID card is not the same as the last name you currently use, please provide additional proof regarding your name usage. A name declaration might have to be done. Information on Name Declaration
  • if applicable, certificate about the validity of a name declaration (“Bescheinigung über die Namensführung”)
  • if applicable, German Naturalization Certificate
  • if applicable, US Naturalization Certificate with “Beibehaltungsgenehmigung”
  • your US driver’s license or an utility bill in your name as proof of residence
  • if applicable, deregistration of your last place of residence in Germany (“Abmeldebescheinigung”), if it is entered in your last passport
  • if applicable, your German Doctoratal Certificate, if you would like to have your doctoral degree entered in your passport


Applications for ID cards will be submitted at the State Office during opening hours after scheduling an appointment. The ID Cards are printed at the Federal Printing Office in Berlin. Please expect a processing time of a maximum of 4-6 weeks. If a Name Declaration is required (see below information), processing time can change considerably.